Personal injuries occur regularly on the road, in the workplace, or in the nursing home. The actions and negligence of other people can cause catastrophic injuries that can last a lifetime. Suppose you are involved in an accident that has caused you personal injuries. In that case, you may want to consult a personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, private industry employers reported 85,300 nonfatal workplace injuries in Ohio in 2020 alone. These statistics don’t include auto accidents, nursing home negligence, etc. Many people involved in these accidents don’t seek the legal service of a firm. A Columbus personal injury law firm will help you get the most out of your insurance claim.
How Do I Get the Most Out of My Injury Claim?
If you are involved in an accident that occurred due to negligence, you first file for an insurance claim. The insurance company will investigate to ensure that your claim holds water. However, you can put measures to ensure you get the most out of your injury claim. Here are some things you can do to get the most out of your injury claim.
- Provide well-written medical documentation. Your insurance company will ask for a medical report to establish that you were involved in an accident. Talk to your doctor about anything wrong with your body. It is vital not to hide anything from your doctor.
- Act quickly: The statute of limitations establishes how long you have to file a claim. In Ohio, you have two years from the date of injury to file a claim.
How Can a Personal Injury Attorney Help You?
When you hire a personal injury law firm immediately after an auto accident, there are a lot of benefits you can derive from it. The law firm handles the legal matters and ensures the insurance company gives you fair compensation. Here are a few of the ways a personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio can help with your claim:
Explain your rights to you.
Every state has laws regarding personal injuries. Ohio also has its regulations regarding the statutes and limitations of an individual injury victim. A personal injury attorney will explain your rights as an injury victim to get fair compensation.
The medical, legal, and insurance fields have many jargons. Your personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio will take the time to explain all these complicated terms regarding private injury matters to you to understand.
Represent you in court, if needed.
Most personal injury victims usually settle with the insurance company outside of court. However, the insurance company might refuse to pay your insurance claims. If that happens, the law permits you to take the insurance company to court. Your personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio will represent you in court through the entire process.
Provide a thorough assessment of the damage.
Many injury victims only focus on the immediate damage caused by an accident. However, a more severe injury can appear months down the line. An injury lawyer handles these cases regularly, so they will be able to assess your case better than someone without legal experience in the personal injury field. With better assessment, a personal injury law firm can help you maximize your financial compensation.
It is common for insurance companies to take advantage of personal injury victims. When you work with a personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio, they will deal with the insurance company on your behalf.
What Falls Under Personal Injury in Columbus Ohio?
The most common personal injury claims involve car accidents. But personal injury covers more than that. Here are some more common types of personal injury claims:
- Wrongful death
- Motorcycle accidents
- Birth injuries
- Construction site accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Rideshare accidents
- Catastrophic accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Spinal cord injuries
- Medical negligence
- Pedestrian injuries
It’s important to note, however, that in order to be eligible for a personal injury claim, your accident must have been caused by negligence. You must also be able to prove that the accident directly caused your injuries and that you have suffered a calculable amount of financial losses due to the accident. If you aren’t sure whether or not your claim is valid, reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio for a free consultation and legal guidance.
What Are the Steps in a Personal Injury Claim?
When a personal injury occurs, the steps to file a claim vary depending on the type of injury. In some cases, such as minor injuries, the process is usually more straightforward and can typically be worked out with the insurance company.
For more serious cases, here are some common steps injured victims can take to file a claim:
1. Consult an Attorney: Immediately after an injury, you may want to reach out to a personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio. During the initial consultation, the attorney will give you a better understanding of what to expect throughout the entire claim process. What are some things you can discuss with your attorney?
One of the most important things to discuss is what caused the accident—detailing the factors and providing photographic evidence to help you secure fair compensation. Bring any medical records and medical bills to your initial consultation.
2. Investigation: After presenting the records and discussing what caused the accident, your attorney will investigate the party responsible for the accident. The investigation usually involves talking to eyewitnesses and taking their statements. Your lawyer would also request security camera footage if it’s available.
3. Issuing a Claim for Compensation: When your attorney finishes gathering all the evidence relating to the accident, they will file an insurance claim with the at-fault party’s insurance company.
4. Negotiation for Settlement: In some cases, the insurance company may offer a settlement without adequately assessing the injury. In such circumstances, your injury attorney will negotiate a better settlement based on the extent of the damage and the medical expenses you incurred after the accident.
5. Taking the Claim to Court: Accidents like motorcycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, or nursing home negligence can lead to catastrophic injuries. These accidents can cause substantial medical expenses and life-altering impacts. In these cases, a lawsuit might be the action to take. A personal injury lawyer in Columbus Ohio can be extremely helpful if your claim goes to court.
Should I Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Seeking fair compensation from your insurance company can be a complicated process. It can sometimes be easier to just let an attorney handle the process, so you can rest and focus on recovery. Our injury attorneys have decades of experience dealing with personal injuries. Their experience will help you get the most out of your injury.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer in Columbus Ohio Today
Accidents happen, and many things can cause accidents. If you suffered injuries because of someone else’s recklessness or carelessness, you shouldn’t have to deal with everything alone. Consult with a Columbus personal injury law firm today.
At Babin Law, LLC, we take our cases on contingency fees. This means you will pay nothing unless we win your case. Call today, and see if one of our skilled personal injury attorneys can help with your case.