Leading the charge for complex mass tort and class action matters throughout the country
Steven helps lead the charge for complex mass tort and class action matters throughout the country. In addition to representing large classes of individuals, Steven handles single-event personal injury cases, including medical negligence and product liability claims. He has first chair trial experience, winning multiple jury verdicts for his clients. He has also argued in front of the Court of Appeals.
Steven has devoted a significant portion of his practice to investigating and litigating cases of sex trafficking in nationally branded hotels. He is the lead trial counsel (along with other co-counsel) on the very first case filed under the federal Trafficking Victims Protections Act against major hotel brands. Currently, he is working with a consortium of lawyers across the country to develop strategies and file cases on behalf of victims of human trafficking. These cases are a first of their kind in the country. These lawsuits, brought on behalf of victims of human trafficking, seek damages against the hotel and motel industry.
Steven serves in several other leadership positions in litigations throughout the country. He is a member of the leadership coalition in the Boy Scout Sex Abuse bankruptcy.
“We believe lawsuits are won by hard work, attention to detail, and a steadfast commitment to ethics.”
STEVEN BABIN – MANAGING PARTNER
Steven is on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, and Chair of Law and Briefing Committee for IN RE: Davol, Inc./C.R. Bard, Inc., Polypropylene Hernia Mesh Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2846, and helps manage thousands of cases involving injuries attributable to failed hernia mesh.
Additionally, Steven is on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee, Chair of Law and Briefing Committee, and Medical Monitoring Committee Member for IN RE: Valsartan, MDL No. 2875. He helps manage cases concerning ingestion of the compound NDMA, which is a known human carcinogen.
Early in his career, Steven gained extensive experience with law and briefing in complex multi-district litigation (“MDL”) matters. As a result of his early work, Steven is highly sought after by MDL leadership committees across the country for his legal research and writing skills. He has drafted all types of legal papers from research memorandum, Daubert briefs concerning complicated scientific evidence, dispositive motions, and motions in limine for Bellwether trials. Steven has performed work on the following MDLs: Xarelto Products Liability Litigation, MDL–2592; Benicar Products Liability Litigation, MDL 15-2606; Bair Hugger Products Liability Litigation, MDL 15-2666; Invokana Products Liability Litigation, MDL 16-2750; and National Prescription Opiate Litigation, MDL 2804.
Before starting Babin Law, Steven served as a law clerk to Judge Alan E. Norris at the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Steven also clerked for United States District Court Judge Peter C. Economus.
Steven believes it is important to give back to the community. He serves on a number of boards and committees in Columbus. In his spare time, Steven enjoys going to the movies and spending time with his family.
Community & Committees
- Halt Violence – Chairman, Board of Directors (former)
- Restored Citizens Committee – Committee Member (former)
- Legal Eagles
- Vineyard Tuttle Crossing member
- P&W Listed published author
Presentations & Publications
- Spring 2022 Freddie Mack – Pride Month Legal Update
- Spring 2022 – Central Ohio Rescue and Restore – Update
- Spring 2022 – Ohio Trafficking Task Force
- Spring 2022 – Trafficking
- Winter 2022 – Harris Martin – Trafficking
- Fall 2021 MTMP – Trafficking
- Spring 2021 – MTMP, Speaker, Human Trafficking – Litigation Update
- Winter 2020 – Masters of Mass Torts
- Fall 2020 MTMP – Trafficking
- Winter 2020 SBA – Business Interruption Cases
- Spring 2020 MTMP – Trafficking
- Spring 2019 – Harris Martin Valsartan – Discovery / Legal Issues / Medical Monitoring Class Actions
- Spring 2019 – MTMP, Speaker, Human Trafficking – Defendants and Claims
- Winter 2019 – America’s Lawyer, Interview, Federal workers, and Trump Administration for Government Shut Down
- Winter 2018 – OAJ, Interview, Podcast Mass Torts
- Fall 2018 – Ring of Fire, Interview, antitrust lawsuit against strips clubs for conspiracy to suppress wages of exotic dancers
- Summer 2018 – MTMP Hernia Mesh, Speaker, Learned Intermediary and Deposition Pitfalls
- Spring 2018 – ABC 6, Interview, Columbus Vice Arrests Stormy Daniels
- Spring 2018 – Bard Webinar – Speaker, Jurisdiction
- Spring 2018 – MTMP, Speaker, Bard MDL Jurisdiction
- Spring 2016 – Federal Lawyer, Judicial Profile, Judge Peter C. Economus