As rideshare companies like Uber continue to grow in popularity, so do the number of accidents. When a potential passenger uses the app to call for an Uber, it is likely they are not concerned about getting into an accident. They trust that the driver they have will get them to their destination efficiently. When that does not happen, questions of fault and liability come out. If you have been in a rideshare accident, our Columbus, OH, Uber accident lawyers can represent you and provide you with sound legal guidance.
How Does Driver Negligence Contribute to Rideshare Accidents?
While the negligent actions that contribute to rideshare, accidents are like other traffic accidents, there are unique elements. If you have been in an accident with an Uber driver, understanding why your accident happened is an important part of building a strong claim to hold them accountable for their actions. Driver negligence contributes to Uber accidents in the following ways:
- Speeding. When Uber drivers are focused on making as many pickups as possible in a night, they may choose to speed to get to destinations faster. No matter the traffic or road conditions, speeding always increases the chances of an accident.
- Distracted Driving. The biggest distraction for an Uber driver is their phone. They need to use the device to accept rides, locate pickup and drop off points, and rate their passengers. While they can use their phones to do those things, it still takes their eyes away from the road and hands away from the wheel.
- Disobeying Traffic Laws. Like speeding, Uber drivers might try to decrease their ride times by doing things like running red lights, ignoring stop signs, or failing to yield to the right-of-way at intersections.
- Fatigue. When an Uber driver tries to make as much money as possible in a single night, they may drive while fatigued to accept more pickups. Driving while tired is just as dangerous as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Failure to Maintain Vehicle. According to Uber’s policies, drivers are supposed to maintain their vehicles and ensure they are properly registered and inspected. If a driver fails to do those things, the chances of getting into an accident increase.
Understanding Uber’s Insurance Policy
If you are riding in an Uber when your driver causes an accident, the company does have an insurance policy. Understanding this policy and what it means for your recovery is crucial. The policy covers the driver up to $1 million in liability, which means your injuries are covered up to that amount. The coverage, however, only kicks in if the drivers involved have insufficient bodily coverage.
In addition to that caveat, there are only certain situations when Uber’s insurance policy applies. To understand what those situations are, it is important to know when a rideshare driver is covered under the company policy. At Babin Law, LLC, our experienced attorneys will aid in helping you understand the policies and procedures to help you recover from your injuries.
Steps to Take After an Uber Crash as the Victim
The first thing you should always do after any car accident is to:
(1) Call the police; and
(2) Seek medical attention.
This will ensure you receive the care you need, and you will have proof of losses related to the crash. If you can, get the names, contact information, and insurance details of everyone involved. There may be witnesses nearby. If there are, ask if they are willing to provide you with contact information, as well. It is also a good idea to take pictures of the wreck, the vehicles, and anything else you believe is relevant to the accident.
Depending on the situation, the police may arrive at the scene. If they do not, you might want to consider calling them yourself. It is better to have an official crash report on file, even if it is a minor one, so that it can be used when building your claim. After you have completed those tasks, you will want to get in touch with an Uber accident attorney so they can help you recover your crash-related losses.
Contact Babin Law, LLC Offices Today
Car accident injuries can be severe. As a result, medical bills can pile up quickly for office visit procedures, medications, therapy, medical equipment, and more. When you work with a Columbus, OH Uber accident lawyer from Babin Law, LLC, we will fight to get you the compensation you need to recover from your injuries and take care of the other losses associated with your accident.
It can be challenging to go up against a company like Uber; but we have the experience needed to do just that. To learn more about your legal rights and options after an Uber crash, schedule a free consultation with our office.