Commercial truck accidents can be devastating. Due to the large size of 18-wheelers, tractor-trailers, delivery trucks and other commercial vehicles, people traveling in smaller vehicles often sustain serious injuries or fatalities in accidents involving large trucks. A driver or passenger in a smaller vehicle struck by a large truck often may be taken from the scene by ambulance, while the truck driver in many cases will walk away without a scratch.
Knowing what to do after a truck accident can be overwhelming. Whether you or a loved one was injured in a tractor-trailer crash in Columbus, OH, you or your family will need to address your injury or wrongful death claim immediately. Understandably, you probably just want to focus on your physical recovery after your crash.
Fortunately, you do not have to choose. Contact us and let Babin Law, LLC, handle all the red tape associated with your truck accident. That way, you can focus on what really matters – getting better or dealing with the emotional loss of a loved one. Call 614-761-8800.
What types of truck accidents does Babin Law, handle?
Our law firm handles many common truck accidents, including jackknife accidents, underride accidents and more. That is because we are familiar with many of the common causes of truck accident claims.
Our years of work on such complicated cases have provided us with a tremendous amount of knowledge about such cases. There is no substitute for experience. That is why accident victims throughout Ohio rely on us to help them get their lives back on track.
Whatever type of truck accident you are dealing with, no matter how complicated it might seem, contact our law firm as soon as possible to discuss the details of your case. We want to work with you and develop a strategy that addresses all the legal aspects of your case.
Typically, the trucking companies and their insurance carriers will begin investigating the crash within hours, even minutes. To level the playing field, you will need to contact us as quickly as possible so we can begin working on your behalf.
Our Ohio truck accident attorneys have a strong track record of success. That is because we have extensive knowledge about a wide range of issues involving truck accidents.
How can an Ohio truck accident lawyer help me with my claim?
Commercial truck accidents can be complicated for several reasons. Unlike most typical car accidents, commercial truck accidents often involve multiple entities: the truck driver, the trucking company, the company that loaded the truck, each of their insurance companies and all their attorneys. They may point the finger at each other, and they are all aggressively working to protect their own interests. An experienced attorney at Babin Law, LLC, can help sort out this situation while you focus on healing.
We know how to deal with all these entities and their attorneys. We have years of experience handling complicated truck accident claims in Ohio. We understand how the legal system works, what questions to ask, what evidence to look for and how to present the evidence to support our client’s claim.
What should I do after a truck accident?
Step by Step Process:
If you or a loved one suffers injuries in a truck accident, you need to do several things as soon as possible:
- Make sure the scene is safe and seek appropriate medical care for everyone involved in your accident.
- Call the police and cooperate fully with them.
- Get the truck driver’s name, contact information, license plate, and contact information for the trucking company.
- Obtain the names and phone numbers of any other motorists involved and any eyewitnesses.
- Take photographs of the vehicles involved (including license plate and markings on cab tractor and trailer), as well as the accident scene.
- Seek medical attention within 24 hours and follow your doctor’s instructions.
- Report your accident to your insurance but keep your comments brief.
- Talk to a lawyer before you give a statement or accept an offer from any insurance company.
At Babin Law, we’re dedicated to helping truck accident victims hold truckers and trucking companies accountable. Our experienced Columbus personal injury attorneys can walk you through the legal process and pursue the full compensation you deserve.
Which insurance company is responsible for a truck accident?
When a tractor-trailer is involved in a crash, there are usually multiple insurance companies involved, including:
- Insurance for the cab (tractor)
- Insurance for the trailer
- Insurance for the cargo
- Insurance for the truck manufacturer or manufacturers of components
- Insurance for any other vehicles involved
Remember, accepting a settlement offer from any insurance company can affect the other insurance companies’ liability as well.
Before you sign anything OR make a statement to an insurance company, discuss your accident with an attorney from our firm. We can help you identify all the insurance available to cover your costs and guide you through this process from beginning to end, making sure you do not sign away any of your rights.
What types of evidence are important in a truck accident?
- “Black box” data — the truck’s GPS data may reveal that the truck was speeding, or that the driver worked through mandatory rest breaks.
- Hours of Service (HOS) log — truck drivers are required to take mandatory breaks to stay alert behind the wheel, and the log keeps track of those breaks.
- Hiring and supervision records — these may reveal whether the trucking company conducted a background check or knew about a driver’s history of unsafe driving.
- Maintenance records — poorly maintained trucks can be exceptionally dangerous.
- Eyewitness accounts and physical evidence — information from the crash scene can help tell the story of what happened and why.
It is important to remember that much of this evidence is the trucking company’s property, and that they can destroy it if an attorney does not intervene promptly. That is why victims need to get an experienced lawyer from Babin Law, LLC, on their side as soon as possible.
After being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, you must act. At Babin Law, we represent truck accident injury victims throughout Ohio. If you have been injured in a truck accident, it is important to get our truck accident response team on the scene as soon as possible.
When you contact us, our rapid response team will get to the scene of your crash right away and take photographs, make measurements, gather witnesses and work with accident reconstructionists and other experts to determine exactly what happened. We also regularly examine internal trucking company documents, which federal law requires to be kept for at least six months. We will send out a letter immediately requesting that these documents not be destroyed.
Call 614-761-8800 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer. You can safely bet the trucking company will have its investigators, photographers, and supervisors at the scene of the accident within 24 hours. Any delay on your part could work to the advantage of the trucking company and its insurance company.
Is a trucking company responsible for a truck accident?
The decisions trucking companies make can put motorists at risk on Ohio highways. Some common forms of negligence on the part of trucking companies include:
- Negligent hiring, supervision, and training
- Over-scheduling of drivers
- Pressuring drivers to work through mandatory breaks
- Failure to conduct background checks
- Poor or delayed truck maintenance
There is absolutely no excuse for negligence by trucking companies that results in a serious accident. Remember, you do not need to handle the trucking companies on your own after the crash. Our skilled lawyers can deal with trucking companies and find the information you need to build a strong legal case. If you have been seriously injured in a truck accident, your focus needs to be on recovery. However, while you work on healing, it is vital to have someone protecting your legal interests.
Truck companies usually have large insurance policies, and the bigger the potential claim, the harder insurers work to minimize their payout to you. That is where an experienced and determined personal injury attorney comes into play. When you have an aggressive legal advocate on your side, your chances of recovering maximum compensation increase significantly. We have years of experience handling a variety of claims involving a range of issues related to trucking companies. Injured or lost a loved one? Contact us online or call us now at 614-761-8800.