Despite having the same right to the road, bicyclists are often treated by motorists without the proper care needed to ensure everyone can share the road safely. Bicyclists are at a greater risk of serious injury or even death in the event of an accident due to the lack of protection compared to a motor vehicle.
Have you or a loved one been involved in a bicycle accident in Cincinnati? At Babin Law, LLC we understand the unique challenges faced by bicycle accident victims and are committed to fighting for your rights and ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve. Our experienced Cincinnati bicycle accident lawyers will work tirelessly to help you navigate the legal process and obtain the justice and financial support you need to move forward with your life. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can help you.
What is a Bicycle Accident?
The legal definition of a bicycle accident refers to any collision or crash involving a bicycle and another vehicle, object, or pedestrian. Bicycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries and damages, including but not limited to, broken bones, head injuries, spinal cord injuries, road rash, and property damage. In many cases, bicycle accidents occur due to the negligence or recklessness of other drivers or parties, such as distracted driving, failure to yield, speeding, or drunk driving.
Common Causes of Cincinnati Bicycle Accidents
- Driver negligence: One of the most common causes of bicycle accidents is driver negligence, including distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence, or failure to yield the right of way.
- Poor road conditions: Poor road conditions such as potholes, debris, and uneven surfaces can cause bicyclists to lose control of their bicycles and get into accidents.
- Bicycle defects: Defective bicycles or bicycle parts can cause accidents, such as brake failure, tire blowouts, or faulty steering systems.
- Pedestrian negligence: Pedestrians who suddenly cross the street or walk in bike lanes can cause bicycle accidents.
- Weather conditions: Poor weather conditions, such as rain, snow, or ice, can make roads slippery and decrease visibility, leading to bicycle accidents.
- Door collisions: Bicycle riders can also get into accidents when car drivers open their doors without checking for approaching bicycles.
- Distracted Driving: One of the most common causes of bicycle accidents is distracted driving. This includes drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in any other activity that takes their attention away from the road.
- Failure to Yield: Drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way to bicyclists, particularly at intersections, can cause serious accidents.
- Unsafe Passing: Drivers who pass bicyclists too closely or at unsafe speeds can cause accidents.
- Intoxication: Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are a significant risk to all road users, including bicyclists.
How Frequent are Bicycle Accidents in Cincinnati?
The frequency of bicycle accidents in Cincinnati varies from year to year, but data from the Ohio Department of Public Safety shows that there were 344 bicycle accidents in Hamilton County, which includes Cincinnati, in 2020. Of those accidents, 308 resulted in injuries and 6 resulted in fatalities. This represents a slight increase in the number of accidents from the previous year, which saw 325 bicycle accidents in Hamilton County.
Types of Injuries in Cincinnati Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can result in a range of injuries, from minor scrapes and bruises to severe, life-threatening injuries. Some common injuries we see at Babin Law, LLC include:
- Head Injuries: Head injuries are one of the most serious injuries that can result from a bicycle accident, and can include concussions, skull fractures, and traumatic brain injuries.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: A spinal cord injury can result in partial or complete paralysis, and can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life.
- Broken Bones: Fractures and broken bones are common injuries in bicycle accidents, particularly to the wrists, arms, and legs.
- Road Rash: When a person falls off a bicycle, their skin can become scraped and abraded from sliding along the pavement, resulting in road rash.
- Soft Tissue Injuries: Soft tissue injuries, such as sprains, strains, and contusions, can result from the impact of a bicycle accident.
- Internal Injuries: A bicycle accident can also result in internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, and punctured lungs.
Contact our Cincinnati Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident in Cincinnati, it’s important to seek legal representation from an experienced Cincinnati bicycle accident attorney who can help you understand your legal rights and options. At Babin Law, LLC we understand the devastating impact that a bicycle accident can have on your life and your family. We are committed to helping injured bicyclists recover the compensation they deserve for their injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. Our team of skilled Cincinnati bicycle accident attorneys have the knowledge, experience, and resources necessary to investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident, build a strong case, and fight for your rights in court. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you.